Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A formal apology from the Boring Statesman

To my readers:

There are many ways to bore, piss off and antagonise a group of people. It can be difficult to do all three. But across a span of approximately 11 months I have discovered an incredible method to do all three.  Here's how you too can do it (Doctors are dying to find out my secret!) -

1) Bore your audience
Make very long posts about issues that no one cares about. No, really, issues that no one cares about and that don't exist outside of your own mind. Take tentative feedback from encouraging "readers" (i.e, teachers I forced to read my blog and my mother's friends) as an endorsement of how excellent my posts are. In my  delusional state, continue to make more extremely long winded, boring posts.

(Also, because all you do is read economics blogs by American economists with PhDs, write like one. Except you obviously don't have their intelligence, so what's left is just terrible writing.)

2) Now piss them off
Neglect your blog. For long and sporadic periods of time. Each time, promise that you're turning a new page. Don't do it.

3) Finally, antagonise them 
Despite doing all of the above; still hold your blog in extremely high regard (for some reason). Maintain an "about me" page that literally stinks of pretentiousness and self righteousness. Keep it that way, while all of your mum's friends, your teachers, and former mentors think "Christ... she really thinks that having a website on the internet qualifies as an achievement. Oh to be young and deluded."

Sound familiar? That's because I just described the entire short, sporadic 11 month life span of the Budding Statesman (aka the Boring Statesman). Through the  combined efforts of 23 blog posts; and despite only posting sporadically (after promising change multiple times), I believe I have bored, pissed off, and antagonised all of you.

Sorry. When I first started the Budding Statesman I had entirely grand and, in hindsight, entirely pretentious ideas of what this Lovechild of my Creative Thought and Mind  was going to be. Instead I left the lovechild to die in  a ditch in a sad corner of the internet.

So to all my readers - a sincere apology. I am sorry you had to witness first hand the pretentiousness of a 17 year old with access to a blogging platform. I'm sorry that, because you were Facebook friends with my mother, you had to read my blog. I'm sorry that you stumbled onto my blog for whatever reason. Because it really was terrible, and, worse than that, terribly boring.

From now on, I can't and won't promise that I'll post regularly.  I can't promise that the posts will be of the best quality, because I'm still a student and in all honesty I'm doing my best. And I can't promise that the posts won't still be a little long. But what I can say for certain is that this blog will Absolutely Not  Be Boring. I'll write as myself. So here's to a new era of the Budding Statesman - I'll do my best not to bore you, piss you off, or antagonise you. High standards indeed.

Comment down below, or email me at buddingstatesman(at)gmail(dot)com, a post of mine that either bored you, pissed you off, or antagonised you. I would, in all honesty, love to know!

P.S  Here's an interesting story - what prompted this epiphany? I checked my stats and saw that one person from Estonia had viewed my blog. And all of a sudden I just felt really, really bad for them - that the only insight they had into an Australian economics student was this terrible blog. Sorry, Estonia!


No comments :

Post a Comment